Monday, July 29

Why Weblogs? :: Kairosnews :: A News Site and Online Community for Discussing Rhetoric, Technology and Pedagogy
1) About a year ago, I asked my first year composition students whether they did much reading and writing outside of class. Most of them said, "No." But when I asked them if they wrote emails, used AOL IM, and surfed the Internet, they almost unanimously said, "Yes."

To them, the Internet and other forms of electronic discourse were not associated with their concept of "reading and writing" in the school sort of way. I imagine that this difference might be because one is "fun" and the other is "work." But regardless, I've come to feel that reading and writing the Web is a way for me to tap into a writing space that students already use--and more importantly, want to use.

No comments: