Friday, September 24

Using Text-Expansion Software to Respond to Student Writing - ProfHacker - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Using Text-Expansion Software to Respond to Student Writing - ProfHacker - The Chronicle of Higher Education: "I also use rubrics, macros and voice recognition software (Dragon 11). Macros can address recurring themes and the VR software allows me to respond faster than I type (140 words a minute, adjusted for errors). Every one is a time saver, but none of them is very satisfying. I know it makes me a better teacher, but I don't know if it makes students better writers.

Unless there is evidence that students actually USE this feedback, I think the innovation is useless. Thousands of instructors have offered variations of 'here's where to look it up' and hundreds of thousands of students have ignored this advice. While I like innovation a lot, we NEED EVIDENCE of LEARNING, not just faster marking."

No comments: