Monday, September 12

Moral Memo

One issue I deal with at work constantly relates to dealing with
customers. I work as a piano mover for a piano retail store. Many
times a piano may be damaged or have a defect or may even be a gray
market piano and the customer does not know. I am asked usually by the
saleperson or owner of the company to either ommit information or just
lie about the situation.
On the side of Rights, I think of my right to refuse to lie and
risk being reprimanded or disliked by my co-workers or supervisors.
On the justice side, the salesperson should be the one to disclose
the proper information regarding the piano to the customer. Also the
problem should be resolved in a just way. for example, if the piano is
damaged the company should pay to have it fixed or replaced.
at a Utility aspect, I look at the idea of the cost that the
company saves in leaving the customer with a defective piano as long as
the customer doesn't know. but the company also needs to realized the
moral standards they are imposing on their employees, and also the
effects their actions are going to have on a cusomer if they do find
out they have been lied to. also they may loose the customers trust.
as far as care is concerned, the salespeople especially, try to
say what the customer wants to here just to close the sale, when in
reality they only care about themselves and making money, even if this
means covering up their mistakes. I have a resposibility to myself and
my family to do what is right and being asked to lie to a customer
imposes on my rights.
I'm sure this is the same in many sales situations and is a
dilemma for many people.

No comments: