Wednesday, September 14

Ethics Memo

Carson Groff


    I used to work for a home security company in Chicago.  It was one of those summer jobs that you can do and make a ton of money.  As a technician, my job was to install the security systems that the salesmen sold.  One of the problems that I faced was that the salesmen would lie all the time.  They would either tell the people that it was going to be a law to have to own a security system so they should get one now, or they would say that the system could do all this fancy stuff that it really could not do.  So when I went to the customer's house to install it, they would ask me questions about things the salesman told them and I was faced with the dilemma of telling the the truth and not getting paid for the install, or going along with the lie and getting paid.
    I talked to the salesmen all the time about not telling the customers false info, but they got more sales with the lies.  The company knew about it too, but they wouldn't do anything either because they got more money too.
   I think the company should have done something to stop it.  It not only makes the company look bad, but people like me don't want to work for them.  I ended up quitting before the summer was out.
 

No comments: