Friday, May 3

Some more notes on cultural artifacts.

One of the problems with my writing is that I am trying to summarize an article at a time, out of

context of the chapter, and within Nvivo. This obviously isn't working that great. Plus, I left some

good books in my carrel. I need to write my chapter the way I write any other paper, by inserting

stuff where it belongs, reading, summarizing, categorizing. I guess I can put stuff in Nvivo, but it's

not really worth it at this time. Why am I sandbagging myself, trying to reinvent the wheel? Plus

there's a chance I'll get approval from UVSC, which scares the crap out of me.

Schwarz:

96: Certain forms of underlife, or resistance, can be seen as efforts to oppose a theory of teaching or

learning rather than the technology itself. Schwarz claims that theories of learning or being, when

codified within technology, can become self-fulfilling prophecies that ultimately shape reality. She

cites as an example Hitler's notions of racial purity, which, although mistaken, changed the

composition of Europe [footnote: with the help of technology]. Because computers embed theories

of learning and work, their use in the classroom to teach writing can shape our teaching, for better or

for worse. Consequently it's very important to understand the cultural forces that inform the

technology, so that those embedded values can be examined.

No comments: