Wednesday, May 8

MetaTalk | Comments on 2175
- As soon as someone busts out the dictionary definition of a word, an argument has descended into semantics, and an argument about semantics is about the biggest waste of energy I can imagine. In the grand scheme of communities, I would put myself as far as possible from the title dictator. You can argue semantics all you want, and who owns what, but I've participated in dozens of mailing lists and community sites, and I'm barely here, and while I'm here I rarely exert any force. I'm on mailing lists where the admin is ever present, telling people publicly that they are idiots when they ask a dumb question, and openly making an example out of bad behavior by banning people in blazes of glory. I'm barely here anymore, and in the continum of community, I'm more janitor than all-powerful dictator.

No comments: