Saturday, May 4

From a techrhet post:

Perhaps expensive courseware is the subconscious way that English
departments attempt to control and insulate themselves from the
disruptions of the technology and those who use it.

I understand Tari's sentiment about not feeling like there is a place
for her within the academy. I wish there were more hybrid positions out
there, and that they paid better, or that there were positions involving
teaching and lab administration that didn't come with the same sets of
publishing requirements. Similar to the complaints of many writing
center directors, I imagine.

I remember while attending the Itext initiative SIG at the CCCC and
watching all the very, very interesting presentations, and thinking that
if some members of my department were there, they'd be thinking to
themselves, "Ack! This is a secret cabal of evil mutants trying to take
over the Wooooorld!". Such are the fears generated by the potent
combination of interdisciplinarity, technology, and research that gets
all extra-textual.

I'm also struck by how many of the real contributors in this
field/subdiscipline/cabal exist outside of the PhD/Research_University
track. Within many programs there is so much *shame* associated with
doing anything but the four-year research track. I imagine it has
something to do with keeping your placement statistics in good shape.

I'm undoubtedly dead wrong about much of this, so be gentle

No comments: