Wednesday, December 15

Time's 2010 Person of the Year | MetaFilter

Time's 2010 Person of the Year | MetaFilter: "I've formed close relationships with people I'd never think twice about if I just met them in a class twice a week. I've gotten to a point where I don't feel like I have any secrets from my friends. Not just my close friends, but from any of them. I don't hide parts of myself like I would otherwise. The prom night of my senior year in high school, I posted to Facebook a long, winding diatribe about why proms made me feel uncomfortable and scared and alone, and why I didn't want to be at the prom, and why I felt like in some ways prom intended to make me feel bad about that decision. Dozens of people responded, some of whom I'd literally never talked to, some of whom I'd thought must have hated me or thought I was a weirdo or any of the things a seventeen-year-old things people think about him. We all had a long, long, talk about our feelings. It was one of the first times I felt like I belonged — not just because of the amicability, but because I'd half thought that I was the only person who thought sad thoughts about things."

No comments: