Thursday, October 24

Some of the current holes in my outline:

I start writing about "course in a box" sorts of things, but don't really explain what that means or why it matters to the project. Here is my explanation: It is a representation of the cultural mileiu in which the classes take place, and also indicates the degree to which humanists tend to erase the unpleasant: the interfaces, the glitches, the student labor. This matters because, as arrogant elitists, they are not equipped to deal with what many of them suspect--that they are underpaid bureaucrats with no real status. Hence the "invitation" to work with technology is often perceived as a drop in status. "Who are these people? They haven't done anything?"

So how do I make a transition to the networked classroom? I talk about the training, and the interfaces, and the constant glitches, and how working in that space requires moving between two cultures, fearlessly.

No comments: