Thursday, April 19

Blogs and Pulitzers What I said (to him and others, I hope) is that most of the people are *** not trying to win Pulitzer prizes ***, not "not going to win". (I was thinking Pulitzer as in "distinguished fiction" or poetry -- excellence in writing.) Some of them are (and could win one), but many bloggers are writing for their friends and others who share their interests. They are driven by passion and not the craft of writing. (You can tell that my writing is like that.) I was trying to deflect the condescending attitude many of the press have about web logs wrt the writing. The press, being "professional writers", measure the writing quality, style, technique, choice of topic, and target audience against what they were taught in school, with a Pulitzer as a goal. I want to emphasize that many writers don't care about that, they just care about communicating with their readers or expressing themselves for their own good feeling.

--Dan Bricklin, on Weblogging.

No comments: