Thursday, May 27

Gartner's Interview with Thad Starner

Gartner's Interview with Thad Starner: "My interest in wearable computing was purely self-motivated. I was going to MIT as an undergraduate and spending – I guess back then it was only $20,000 a year, and now it's much more – quite a lot of money on my education … and I was discovering that I wasn't remembering any of it.

Either I could pay attention in class to what the lecturer was saying and get some intuition about what was going on, or I could spend all my effort on writing notes. But I could not do both. So if I spent time paying attention to the lecturer, I would remember it for about two hours and feel like I actually understood the material. But after two hours, I couldn't remember a thing. If I spent time writing it down, I got no intuition. I got the material down off the whiteboard, but it meant nothing to me. And my handwriting was so bad that I even lost that after two weeks. I couldn't read my own notes."

No comments: